ALAF, Latin American Railway Association, is a non-governmental organization
(NGO) that has been recognized by the United Nations. It was found in 1964 and
its main offices are in Buenos Aires, Argentina, two regional offices in Brazil (Brasilia
and San Paulo) and one in Guatemala (Guatemala).
The organization is constituted by most of the
railway and railway-related industrial companies
in Latin America.
ALAF has the following basic purposes:
• To promote cooperation among its members
and to contribute to the envelopment
and expansion of railway transport in the region.
• To promote a public policy in transportation ensuring the equal participation of
the railway mode.
• To support the development of railway transportation infrastructure projects,
including intermodal transfer stations and port accessibility.
• To develop a rationalized supply of railroad products and services in the Latin
America region based on standardized products with warranted quality
In the governmental domain in the región
• Presentation in different governmental forums of concrete proposals based on
thorough reference research: at the regional level, in Transportation Ministers’
Conferences and all those meetings about issues related to transport; and at the
national level, in both federal and provincial and local governments, as well as in
the legislative bodies.
• Environmental protection: consideration of external costs in the definition of
transportation and infrastructure projects.
• Equal participation among transportation
modes (subsidized policies, regulations, indirect
• Frontier-crossing facilitation.
• Legislation leading toward multimodal transport.
• Promotion and participation in projects of corridor
• Protection of Railroad Historical Patrimony.
In the legislative domain
•To promote legislation in order to improve the security in transportation projects
and environmental protection, and to device a legal framework ensuring equitative
partici¬pation of the different transportation modes.
In the academic domain
• To generate and support a regional academic network on disciplines devoted to
research on transportation issues.
• To inform academic institutions of the activities organized by ALAF.
In the financial institutions
• To participate with the financial institu¬tions in the definition of methodologies
to facilitate the financing of railroad infrastructure of regional interest.
In the regional trade organizations
• To participate in assessment studies of transportation projects
in order to support regional trade.
In international railway organizations
• To have an active participation as representative of Latin
American railway companies in the activities of the UIC.
• To further the relationship with the AAR and the FRA, particularly
in aspects related to norms and technical regulations
and in the transport of hazardous products.
In the services to affiliates
Particularly in the following services for members:
• Síntesis Informativa en Tiempo Real (“News in Real Time”).
• Revista ALAF (ALAF magazine), periodical publication.
• Annual statistical review.
Access to documentation and publications related to the transportation sector in
general and to the railway mode in particular.
On-line services through Internet
• Access to information about suppliers of railroad products and services by specialty.
• Access to information about supply and demand of products and services for
• Direct links with railway firms and regional and international agencies.
• Access to listings of Latin American railway companies.
• Digital access to ALAF magazine and ALAF in Real Time.
Training courses upon request from the member
companies, with internationally- known
Organization of workshops and seminars covering
issues of affiliate’s interest
Research of technical standardization at the
To overcome the technical restrictions in the trade traffic and to rationalize the
demand of elements and equipment.
Certification of compliance with international manufacturing quality standards
To assure customers on the quality of the elements they purchase.
Reserch on security norms
To ensure circulation security and to promote the use of the railway mode in the
transport of hazardous products.
For certain projets, with technical assistance that facilitates cooperation agreements.
Facilitation of transport
Through a systematic management of the principal internacional corridors.
Analisis and evaluation of projects
ALAF has endorsed cooperation agreements with several public and private institutions
Germany: GTZ, Deutsche Gesellschaft für Technische Zusammenarbeit, Gmbh
Spain: RENFE, ADIF
France: SNCF, French National Railways
USA: FRA (Federal railroads Administration)
SIECA (Central America Economic Integration Secretary)
ALADI (Latin American Integration Association)
OEA (Organization of the American States)
University of Castilla - La Mancha, Spain
University of Campinas, UNICAMP, Brazil
University of Catalunya, UPC, Spain
BID (Inter-American Development Bank)
Regional and international railway organizations
UIC (International Union of Railways)
AAR (Association of American Railroads)
How to become a member of ALAF
Any public or private company or government agency performing activities related
to transportation in general or railway transportation in particular may become
a member of ALAF.